lead

Bizarre accident – man fighting fire dies after accidentally swallowing molten lead (1755)

A no more unusual circumstance than swallowing molten metal can be imagined but in fact, there are many recorded cases of people swallowing molten metals (both by accident and as a method of torture). After a particularly unusual incident in Plymouth, a series of experiments were conducted on dogs, cats, and fowl to determine the effects of swallowing molten material. The case that sparked the interest within the medical community was the death of Henry Hall who accidentally swallowed molten lead while fighting a lighthouse fire in 1755. The death of Henry Hall 94-year-old Henry Hall was a lighthouse keeper who worked on the Eddystone Lighthouse in the English county of Devon. At around 2:00 AM on December 2, 1755, Hall discovered that a spark from a